Plastic Free Wells
Community > Community Groups
The plastic free coastlines initiative is organised and run by Surfers Against Sewage a well established environmental campaigning group. Sustainable Wells have applied to make Wells one of the plastic free towns/cities.....there are now four towns who have achieved this in the UK and growing....no cities yet!
If you would like to get involved in this scheme and help Wells become Plastic Free please email us at email@example.com
There are 5 objectives that have to be met before you can be awarded plastic free status and they are -
1) Local Council (County, Town, Parish or Community) must pass a resolution to support Plastic Free Coastlines, committing to plastic free alternatives and supporting plastic free initiatives within the constituency.
2) At least three single-use plastic items removed from local businesses and retailers; replaced with sustainable alternatives. The target number of businesses are determined by population. For Wells it is 6 businesses
3) Plastic Free Coastlines community engagement and participation levels: 50% of community spaces. These can include; community centres, village halls, places of worship, libraries etc. 30% of schools in the local area. At least one community organisation. These can include; Scouts, Girl Guides, Women’s Institute, etc
Targets are suggested and will be judged on an individual application basis. The more evidence provided of Plastic Free Coastlines being adopted by the local community, the increased effectiveness of Plastic Free Coastlines.
4) Two community Beach (or suitable alternate) Cleans, taking part in SAS’s nationwide beach clean series each Spring and Autumn. 1 fundraising event for SAS to support Plastic Free Coastlines.
5) Local group of stakeholders to meet at least once per year to discuss the progress of Plastic Free Coastlines locally; agreeing and setting direction, meeting objectives, and completing application for official Plastic Free Coastlines status. Group includes 1 member of local council